Friday, July 15, 2011

Can my pain medication be affecting my milk supply?

I recently had a tubal ligation (mini lap procedure) and was prescribed Percocet and ibuprofen for pain. I was advised to pump and dump for the first 24 hours and told I could resume breastfeeding after that. Since the I have noticed my son spitting up more, very gassy and while he will latch he won't drink, but when given formula he will drink without issue, no gas, no fussing and will generally be more content. My supply is now very low despite continuing to pump/attempt to nurse and I was wondering if my pain medication could be the cause of this. Has anyone had a similar experience? I want to continue breastfeeding as long as I am able, what can I do to help boost production while keeping my baby nourished and happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment